March 24, 2011

You're the Window Washer With a Horrible Secret!


You took this job to get away. To get away from all their questions. They can't get to you up here. Strange how here, standing on a platform seventy stories up, you finally feel in control, finally feel safe.

"I could never love her the way that she needed to be loved," you whisper to the woman on the other side of the glass. "I could only love her the way she wanted to be loved."

The woman on the other side of the glass doesn't hear you. But it feels good to tell someone.

You pull the squeegee across your reflection. "I could never leave someone who wanted me so badly. But I knew I was bad for her. I loved her too much to destroy her."

The woman lifts her head and turns. She looks up at you, but you can tell she doesn't understand and would never understand.

"The fact is that I never cheated on her. I made it up to drive her away."

The woman is still looking at you, concerned. She picks up her phone, says a few words, and hangs up. A minute later your phone rings.

"Jerry? Jerry, if you don't take off that fuckin' wedding dress we're going to have a serious problem. Don't bring that shit in to work Jerry. This is the last time."

You'll take off the dress when you're ready. Not a moment before. For now, you just need some time to think.

YOU'RE THE WINDOW WASHER WITH A HORRIBLE SECRET!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that "You pull the squeegee across your reflection" is possibly the best sentence I have read all week.

    ReplyDelete